I’m an outgoing professional in the information technology and education fields who’s determined to make a difference in both. With IT and education growing ever-closely to each other, being involved in both is a challenging and rewarding experience that will last for decades to come. An ever-expanding array of devices, gadgets, tools, technology in general plus the motivation, experience, and knowledge makes for a very interesting future within IT and education with extraordinary ways to revolutionize the classroom and lab, and I plan on being right on the front line for it.
After almost ten months, I was promoted from PC Support Manager to Network Systems and Security Manager! The focus of this position now leads me to securing our current infrastructure, whether it be by technical means, training resources, and more, to ensure that all employees and students can utilize a safe, secure infrastructure dedicated to education.
- Implement mail flow rules in Office 365 to ensure that unauthorized senders either don’t arrive to our users’ mailboxes or prefix them as a warning.
- Ensure that firewall rules are properly maintained and logged for access.
- Assist all Technical Operations in ongoing projects that affect the College, whether by physical labor or as a knowledge resource.
- Verify that the College follows both Motlow and TBR policy in regards to security compliance.
The continuation of my career leads me to Motlow State Community College, where I’ll be managing PC systems for the Smyrna Campus. With a small team to lead, I plan on transforming Motlow State to become one of the best in terms of IT infrastructure and support for all faculty, staff, students, and guests involved with the campus.
- Manage a team of Tier 1 and Tier 2 technicians across four campuses and assist in cross training to ensure everyone has an equal opportunity to perform any task given.
- Assist in managing On-Prem Exchange 2010 and Office 365, including mailbox migrations, encryption rules, shared mailboxes, compliance auditing, etc.
- Manage the KACE K1000 system used for ticketing and tracking, inventory, and automated software installation.
- Implement and manage new servers for the College to use, including VMware utilities such as vSphere, to roll out Windows Server as well as Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
- Test, implement, and in some cases develop, software used to assist the College in achieving the goal to enhance student success, including new self-service utilities for all College members to use, kiosk utilities, and more.
- Assist in managing the Cisco phone system, including route & hunt lists, route patterns, DN creation, and more in CUCM as well as voicemail, call handling, and scheduling management in CUC.
- Assist in verifying current information technology practices are in line with both the Motlow and TBR policies and guidelines.
What began as an adjunct hire to fill the Technology Foundations instructor position with part-time IT support turned into a full-time IT administrative position managing two campus networks containing 50+ employees and 400+ students.
- Assist in building and maintaining the network for both the Murfreesboro Campus and Smyrna Campus / Nissan Training Center.
- Set up new computers for classrooms and staff, including profile management and migration if required.
- Server management including Hyper-V, Active Directory / Group Policy, DNS, DHCP, WDS and WSUS management, etc. with Windows Server 2003 – Windows Server 2012 R2-based servers.
- Introduced Ubuntu and Debian servers onto the campus network with both simple configurations for TV presentation as well as web servers utilizing Apache, PHP, MySQL, and other web technologies.
- Help maintain the TCAT – Murfreesboro website (https://tcatmurfreesboro.edu) as well as maintain services hosted on our private site (https://tcatmboro.com) and other sites hosted in the TCAT namespace (https://midtnleaders.org & https://tnjts.com)
- Network equipment management including managing SonicWALL firewalls; Brocade, Linksys, and Cisco switches.
- VoIP management including setting up ShoreTel telephony.
- Social network management including managing the official Twitter handle for TCAT – Murfreesboro @tcatmboro.
- Audit technical equipment including computers, phones, networking equipment, toner, software licenses, etc. using open-source, Web-based solutions such as Snipe-IT and closed-source applications such as PDQ Inventory.
- Misc. tasks related to managing TCAT – Murfreesboro’s Technology Foundations department, including creating students’ accounts for ACT’s Career Ready 101, proctoring ACT Compass and Elsevier HESI exams.
A temporary position I held while attending TCAT – Murfreesboro which led to the position listed above.
- Assisted the Computer Information Technology instructor with various tasks, including grading tests, setting up projects for other CIT students, etc.
- Assisted the College with various miscellaneous tasks including shredding papers, helping staff members with IT-related issues, installed applications for various classrooms, etc.